Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sleeping Drunken Disease or I had a Virus

OMG! I have been plagued with the sleeping drunken disease for the past few days. Today I am pleased to say that while I slept in late and stayed in bed until about noon, I have been able to stay awake all afternoon and even did a few chores like empty the dishwasher and take out the trash. I suppose I should back up a bit.

Monday - I had noticed that whenever I moved or walked - the room spun around like the tilt-a-whirl rides at Disneyland (I'm old school) or when you are plastered. I had worked the am but hadn't need to drive anywhere - and furthermore - I don't think I could have driven anywhere. The feeling was disconcerting to say the least. So Tuesday when I was still on the tilt-a-whirl ride without buying a ticket, I decided I should go chat with a doc about it. I had to call one of my friends to drive me. (Thanks to Tiff for the ride and the catching up lunch. The cats thank Tiff for the much needed cat food.) Long and the short of it was that the substitute doc (my guy was out) was a semi-retired guy who after several tangents and stories about his house and his stroke, he determined I was suffering from a good old fashion virus affecting the upper respiratory system and my balance. He told me to take my low grade fever home - fix myself a hot toddy with my choice of brandy or whiskey, some hot water and lemon, crawl into the cave and sleep it off. I slept for most of Tuesday afternoon and a good portion of Wed. From time to time, I would drunkenly stumble to the couch for a movie or to the kitchen for some OJ & sudafed. (Thanks, MaryK for the OJ delivery and for letting my dog molest you for a few minutes. She loves you more than cat poo.) I didn't turn on the phone or computer at all on Tuesday. WHAT?! I slept, watched a movie and slept some more.

This afternoon - I am happy to be working on laundry and am going to be putting clean sheets on the bed in about 1/2 hour. I love clean sheets. And having the energy to change my bed - means I am on the road to recovery. And while my to do list for the week has fallen apart, I have gotten some amazing sleep and didn't even need the toddy to do it.

3 comments:

maryk said...

glad you're feeling better!!!

Unknown said...

Lookit you! When you're feeling woozy, the gals come running to your aid! That's love!

I got the Ebola virus once and Steve Coulter wouldn't even drive me to the CDC. Something about, "you're contagious, monkey boy...and I ain't Jack Bauer!" I dunno...it was hard to hear through that plastic bubble they had me in.

The Boy in the Plastic Bubble - John Travolta's true breakthrough. Remember that, Peaches and Herb fan? Same era...

Glad you're feeling better. Being sick sucks.

heighlo. said...

TOTALLY remember the boy in the plastic bubble! John was CUTE.

you should get better friends.