Saturday, January 19, 2008

Range Hate

I have now yet another reason to hate my range. Everyone is always impressed at the look of the Jenn-Aire but it has been the most frustrating contraption EVER. Okay maybe not ever - but right now this is my tantrum and my blog so EVER.

I started a pot roast today before heading out to my open house. I have a new All-Clad slow cooker that I received from my parents for Christmas. I LOVE it. It really is useful when you have a crazy job with crazy hours like I do. I can start something and run out for few hours and know I have not burned the house down. I love my dutch oven - also a Christmas gift from my business partner, Tacha - but you have to be home to use that because it is not a good idea to leave the oven on or the stove on when you are not here. The dog would not have the disruption of the fire alarm killing her ear drums.

Back to the pot roast. I stumbled upon a recipe of sorts in The Cook's Best Recipe book for Corned Beef and Cabbage when I got the dutch oven back on the 22nd of December. In my exuberance to cook - I had not properly read the instructions for the Corned Beef that had the beef in a rub for 7 days. HELLO - I wanted corned beef and cabbage that day! So, I decided I would just cook the beef and add the vegetables and it would be like a pot roast. Whole Foods was out of cabbage that day, so I grabbed brussel sprouts and some turnips along with my onions, red potatoes and carrots. I loved the Cook's recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage because you could use lots of root vegetables and pick which ones. For me it was a great mind opening experiment into how much I love root vegetables in pot roast! I ended up with the best pot roast EVER that day.

So back to today's pot roast. I decided today that I would make a pot roast which for me is now lots of broth and lots of veggies. Today I did find cabbage but no fresh brussel sprouts. I added turnips, onions, red potatoes and carrots. The slow cooker quickly began to be too small when I began adding my veggies. So - I decided to transfer the food into the dutch oven and finish it off. Now the dutch oven - is BIG - about 9.5 quarts I think. And by the time I had made the transfer and added all the vegetables, it was FULL. And now we are really entering into the frustrating part of the tale.

While loading the dutch oven into the oven, the weight of the dutch oven knocked down the rack in the oven off track. The rack is wedged and I can't get it out or back on track. So it is just sitting out blocking the door and I can't close the door. I have tried to nudge it but have done nothing more than scrape scratches in the finish of the oven insides. Now there was no disaster with the dutch oven or the food just the rack forcing the door to the oven to remain open for eternity. I have tried it several times and don't want to risk knocking over the entire range with my force of frustration especially with my pot roast on the open flame above. Hopefully I won't need to get into the cabinet that the door is blocking and hopefully the cats won't wonder in there thinking it is a nice warm spot.

I am thinking this is funny. And if the inside of the oven wasn't so dirty I would shoot a picture. I will work on the door in the am over coffee perhaps.

UPDATE ~~~I did get the oven rack out last night and the door shut. I still have don't like the range and youcan'tmakeme.

2 comments:

maryk said...

when watching your animals, and hanging out, i was looking for a cookie sheet on which to bake the blue cheese thingees, and thought they might be in the little drawer at the bottom of your oven. ...i pulled that and the whole panel came off. ..!!!! i just remembered that after reading this post! sorry! but it did go right back on, and seemed to be no worse for the wear.

heighlo. said...

no worries! i have knocked that thing off so many times vacuuming/mopping. i am impressed you figured out how to get it back on without kicking it a few times. cookie sheets over refrig.