Monday, March 26, 2007

Not Just Another Monday

I woke up today to discover the passing of 2 folks.

Bill I didn't know - I knew his wife though. Last week I received an email about Bill falling on his driveway in a freak accident and hitting his head. He spent several days in a drug induced coma but didn't make it. Hard to send your husband to get the mail and not return to you.

Kelley. I did know Kelley. And I knew that today was coming. Kelley has battled a nasty beast - breast cancer that metastasized into her bones. When I first met Kelley about 6 years ago, she had already been through a great deal and the cancer had already settled in her bones. I won't go through the details about how difficult the years have been for Kelley dealing with the broken bones and the treatments. It isn't what Kelley was about - not by a long shot - and she wouldn't like that at all. When you were with Kelley you were with her - regardless of the pain she was in or how bad she felt - she was right there with you never complaining. I hope no one will say she lost her battle with cancer because she didn't. She is someone who beat that disease - because she lived and she did so on her own terms even with the worst of what she endured - she made choices. And she lived with great joy.

So here I sit with strong coffee on one side and the Newman on the other side showing me quiet love. I have sneezed no less than 10 times during the course of these writings - thanks, pollen. I have a meeting today that is an important one. I should be brushing up on the file. I am sitting here fighting the urge to sink into the melancholy hole and wishing I could inject caffeine directly into my veins and wondering where the morning has gone. And the friggin ants are back in the laundry room. I can mark spring with the return of the pollen and the damn ants.

I am lucky really. I have these amazing amazing friends in my life - my girl fight clubbers. We have gone through some shit together. Some heavy shit. When we leave each other be it in a large group or a small one, we say love you. We say it all the time - on the phone, in emails, texts & in person. It is always there. Always known. And sometimes it is with an accent because we don't separate love and funny. But we have learned to enjoy life - the day to day moments. And that is what life is really about - the day to day moments. And I suppose that includes the return of the ants and the passing of people.

0 comments: