Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Free Loading Guest

I discovered recently I have freeloader in the yard. I hired a professional, John, really good guy- today to give me the news. It's an opossum. I was completely relieved at this news! Seems so much better than the options that creep me out about in town living. There haven't been any horror movies about possums to freak me out or any baby eating possums that I know of. I don't even like saying or writing the name of the animal that won't be named. I don't like raccoons or squirrels either. Opossum suits me fine for an invader. And John will take my possum alive and relocate the guy - that's the way they do things. Another reason he is a good guy.

Today was our first day with the traps. There are 2 - one with burned marshmallows which look yummy- just like you would roast on a fire. The second one is loaded with canned cat food. If you know me - you know about Newman and you are probably a little worried or just curious. Well, nice John talked me through opening the trap and how to reset it. So sit easy, reader. Newman spent the early years of his life living in a parking lot forging and hunting for food so he will taste most things and I wouldn't be surprised to find him eating marshmallows.

I only had to wait 4 hours to find Newman in the trap with the cat food & on his back with his paws in the air and PISSED. I laughed as I sprung him free - only his pride was wounded. He shot out of the trap and ran for freedom. I finally coaxed Newman into the house for some food and a little R&R. Hopefully he has learned his lesson. We'll see. Perhaps we should take bets on the number of times I free Newman. And will he go for the marshmallows?

2 comments:

maryk said...

I bet he doesn't try the marshmallows. He may go back in for the cat food, though. Is it canned? Hopefully not the kind they're recalling.. ...
he's smart, though. he may not venture back in. curious is the nature of the beast, though.
i think possums are cah-ute!

heighlo. said...

i gave him and sadie some canned food last night (it is canned). I did find him this am on the front porch - about as far away from the traps as he could be. I can have the possum dropped off at your place if you like?! and FYI- no possum today....